Today, I will be featuring a well-known municipality in the province of Leyte, my home province. If you want to see more of my province, view my Leyte Travel Series.
The Destination: Palo, Leyte
Palo is a third class municipality in Leyte and is now very famous because of its involvement in the history of the Philippines. Palo is the site of the return of Gen. Douglas MacArthur to the Philippines in 1944. Palo is just a few minutes away from Tacloban City, the capital city of Eastern Visayas. Hence, many regional government offices are located in the area. This beautiful town has a lot of historic structures and natural attractions too!
Tacloban City to Palo - approximately PhP 10-20 (10-20 minutes by bus or jeepney)
Ormoc City to Palo - approximately PhP100 (2 hours by van)
1. Leyte Landing Memorial (MacArthur Park)
One of the reasons why Palo is renowned in the Philippines is the Leyte Landing on October 20, 1944. Gen. Douglas MacArthur's promise of his return to this country was fulfilled when he stepped on the beach of Palo on that historic day with Filipino and American soldiers accompanying him. In order to commemorate this event, the Leyte Landing Memorial (popularly called as the MacArthur Park) was established. If you are in Leyte, never miss to visit this place!
- From the national highway, ride a motorcab going to the park. Fare is PhP10-20.
2. Red Beach
This is the beach where the liberation forces headed by Gen. MacArthur landed. It is called the Red Beach because of the color-coding scheme of the U.S. military and the blood that was shed on the seas during the Battle of Leyte Gulf.
3. World War II Memorial for the Filipino Soldiers
Located near the church and the town's center is this memorial to the Filipino soldiers who have died during the Second World War. This site also commemorates the Australian, American, and Japanese soldiers of the war.
4. Other historical attractions:- Japanese Shrine in Brgy. Caloogan
- Palo Municipal Library and Heritage Museum
- Palo's heritage houses
5. Natural attractions:
- Guinhangdan Hill
- Palo Binangalan Coral Reefs
- Palo Mangrove Reservation
1. From Tacloban City, you can ride a bus, a jeepney, or a multicab going to Palo. The fastest and most efficient way is through a jeepney or multicab.
2. You can do a walking tour around the town's center. After exploring its center, head on to MacArthur Park which is located in Brgy. Candahug.
3. A famous and great place to stay in Palo is The Oriental Leyte which is located near MacArthur Park.
Where is Palo, Leyte on the map?
|Map by: Wikipedia|
If you have questions and inquiries, comment below or e-mail me at email@example.com.
View my previous posts of Palo, Leyte: