Name: Rain Campanilla
Address: Sydney, Australia
Blog: Rakistang Nars (www.rakistangnars.com)
|The love of travel traces back to one too many bus rides. Britomart Station, Auckland.|
Number of countries visited: 10
Number of Philippine provinces explored: 29
Favorite travel memories:
- Staying with a village of weavers in Luang Namtha, Northern Laos; taught local kids the words to Wiz Kalifa's Young, Wild and Free and the adults, how to play Temple Run on iPad.
- Spending mile-high and other airport moments in 4 cities in 4 countries with somebody I met on a PAL ticket booth (Manila, Philippines | Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei | Brisbane, Australia | Auckland, New Zealand).
- Receiving roses from fellow backpackers, even with the reality of my fat, married self-- 1 in Chiang Mai (from an Australian Bloke), 1 in Vientiane (from a French Boy) and 1 in Khao San (from a German Dude).
Favorite travel destinations:
- Coromandel Peninsula, New Zealand
- Philip Island, Victoria, Australia
- Don Det, Southern Laos
- Hinatuan, Surigao del Sur, Philippines
|Preparing to bungee jump. Taupo, New Zealand.|
Most embarrassing travel moments:
- Had the heaviest menstrual period while camping at the no water, no electricity, no whatever Phou Khao Khuoay forest in Laos.
- Walking straight to a glass wall in SM Iloilo after a long, hungover van trip from Boracay.
Something I learned about myself while traveling:
My unwavering courage and exceptional bravery makes up for poor physical strength, almost always.
One thing I always bring while traveling:
Friendship bonds and other knicknacks from my airport of origin (I fancy giving keepsakes to people I meet).
Injuries/illnesses incurred while traveling:
Head-on collision with another vehicle in the middle of nowhere while on 10-hour road trip from Wellington to Auckland in New Zealand (October 2009). I miraculously survived unscathed. (Let's not talk about other casualties).
Lost items/gadgets while traveling:
- A cardigan from a Belgian friend while exploring the Hinagdanan Cave in Dauis, Bohol.
- A pair of RayBan aviators while tubing down the river in Vang Vieng, Laos. Blame Beer Lao.
Things/persons I miss when I am on the road:
My bestfriend, Jopet. Unless of course, we are traveling together.
Future travel plans:
- Uluru Rocks, The Outback, Australia (Lent 2014)
- International Date Line, Taveuni, Fiji (Cheating my way to breaking the time-space continuum)
- Santorini, Greece (To culminate Eurotrip 2015)
- Easter Island (The geektalk on this would take forever)
- Denali Borough, Alaska (Magic Bus 142, hello?)
Travel books I would recommend:
- The Griffin and Sabine series (Not really a travel book, but the same intangible stuff that travelers seek is told and felt in these books)
- Into The Wild (For I can never be as brave as Alexander Supertramp. Hats off, Wanderer.)
- The Beach (the driving force that made me backpack Indochina, though, ironically, not to the south (where the beaches are).
Travel movies I would recommend:
- Y Tu Mama También (For the Boca del Cielo of each of us)
- The Motorcycle Diaries (For the revolutionary heart)
- Eurotrip (in the name of simple joys and hearty laughs)
- Vicky Cristina Barcelona (art in all forms; bearded, at times)
One tip for fellow travelers:
The road has no rules. Unleash. Give in. Ride it like you stole it.
Sum up your travel experiences in one sentence:
"Short-lived; they don't last long enough for the magic to wear-off."
Favorite travel quote:
"There are far, far better things ahead than any you leave behind." - C.S. Lewis