Ellen G. White, the messenger of God, wrote that, “The Lord has been calling our attention to the neglected multitudes in the large cities, yet little regard has been given to the matter” (Advent Review and Sabbath Herald, Nov. 11, 1909).
This statement reminds us of our higher calling to have our ministry focused in the cities of the world. This is what Ellen White termed “urban ministry”.
|Their smiles inspire us to serve.|
Photo Credit: Regin Reyno
But how can we do it?
Ellen White in her book, The Ministry of Healing, p. 143, outlined five steps which she called “Christ’s Method” to reach the people in the cities.
1. Mingling. We have to go to the cities and live among the people. We need missionaries who are committed to spend some time in city ministry.
2. Showing sympathy. We must perform acts of kindness to the people, and show sympathy and concern to them.
3. Ministering to their needs. In here, we have the responsibility to minister to their needs. We must be leading in making these cities better places to live.
4. Winning confidence. We need them to trust us in our ministry to them.
5. Bidding them to follow Jesus. This is the last and most important step. After performing the 4 steps, we must then ask the people to follow Jesus, our Master and Redeemer.
Jesus has given us a model to follow in Matthew 9:35 and 36 which says, “And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people. But when he saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd. ” In line with this, we need missionary volunteers to preach, teach and heal. We can be of great as medical missionaries.
|"With love, with joy, we care."|
Photo Credit: Alessa Saluta-Aligno
In His great love, Jesus has showed us the greatest example of ministry. Let us now dedicate some time in our lives serving the Lord as medical missionaries and as travelers who will take some task of ministry.
I personally support this type of ministry!
Will you join us?
This post is part of our preparation for the Klement '09 Backpacking and Ministry
in Thailand and Cambodia on July 23 to August 2, 2012. Please pray for us!