Yet, after having accompanied Journeying James on his Day 85 and 86 of his 100 Days of Backpacking the Philippines- The Cheapest Way Possible, I realized that it is more important and satisfying to create your own adventure, not merely copying the itineraries of other travelers.
Here are the things that I have learned (even further and better) during our Southern Cebu Trip with Journeying James:
1. Create your own adventure!
I remember Journeying James telling me, "No time, no itinerary, just go with flow." What's the point? When we travel, we must not focus our attention to the time and our itinerary, rather we must focus our time to the experiences on hand and to follow where our wandering feet will lead us. Create your own adventure because every journey is a new adventure!
|Puerta Marina-- Argao, Cebu|
2. Be friendly with the locals.
Spending more time with the locals is worth it. Talk and share stories to them, laugh with them, and play with them too.
|Journeying James in Oslob, Cebu.|
3. Try the local delicacies.
It will enrich your travel experience and will make it more unforgettable.
|Tasting Argao's unique torta.|
Photo Credit: Journeying James
4. Know the history and heritage of the place.
This will make you more appreciative of our rich history as Filipinos. (We completed Boljoon's Heritage Walk. We explored the watchtowers, historical churches and sites in Southern Cebu.)
5. Learn and try new things.
I greatly thank Journeying James for teaching me free-diving! (My first time actually! And I really need more practice.)
6. Appreciate the natural wonders that God had created.
For me, this is the ultimate reason why I love to travel. I love to see nature at its best. I love to witness God's love for us displayed grandiosely in nature.
|Tumalog Falls-- Oslob, Cebu|
7. Challenge yourself to travel in a budget and to travel light.
Journeying James' daily budget of PhP500.00 really amazed me. How did he do that? I will definitely try it in my future travels. It is also important to travel light too. Don't put too much load on your back. Love your body, love your back!
What are the lessons you learned while on the road? Share it here.
You can read my other posts of our Southern Cebu trip with Journeying James.
1. Southern Cebu Trip with Journeying James
2. Santander: Cebu's Southernmost Tip
3. Tumalog Falls (The Second Time)
4. Oslob's Magnificent "Cuartel" and "Baluarte"
5. A Sunset and Sunrise in Boljoon, Cebu
6. The Historic Watchtowers in Boljoon, Cebu
7. Experience Boljoon's Heritage Walk
8. 12 Reasons Why You Should Explore Boljoon, Cebu
9. Snapshots of Dalaguete, Cebu
10. Snapshots of Argao, Cebu
See also the videos that Journeying James made!
Part 1: Southern Cebu Trip- Oslob and Boljoon
Part 2: South Cebu Trip- Dalaguete and Argao